Friday, November 21, 2008

Making it's mark

New Zealand surely made an impression and as most of you know, I set out with full intentions of coming home with a permanent representation of the land. With that, I have to attribute the following encounters to the law of attraction.

In the beginning, before I even loaded up on the bus and started making my rounds, I met a girl from Boston named Arielle. I got a glimpse of her artwork on her ribcage and was instantly intrigued. She gladly shared her story and the meaning to the piece and I knew then that I would most definitely have Maori work done. Through conversation she shared her artists name (Mike) and contact information with enthusiasm. As we talked I could feel that little spot in my belly signaling me to pay attention. As time passed, that little guy in there stayed persistent making sure I didn't procrastinate. So as soon as I had the travel loop figured out I crossed my fingers and hoped Mike's planner looked the same as mine. Surprised even to get him on the first ring and thrilled that after about 30 seconds of talking I knew for sure this was a guy that would understand the story surrounding my piece. Booked to sit the day before my departure and I am comfortable (as well as ecstatic (insert my 'skip')) for the rough draft vision we both created.

I arrive on Waiheke Island via ferry from Auckland and with all my bags (in their glory) hop on the local bus to his shop. First things first.... let's talk about YOU (that would be me) and draw! Well...we all know how much I like to talk about myself, but in Maori culture it is necessary to bring out ME & my story via the people past and present. We both took everything we had come up with into consideration and slept on the ideas.

I spent the next morning on the beach making sure I knew exactly what it was I wanted permanently etched into my body. When I showed up for our appointment I was sure I wanted to incorporate some of the people that make up my being; so I figured we could merge where I have been with where I am going. He too felt that was necessary and therefore we just could not imagine being restricted by any lines.
First, he looked at his 'canvas' professionally and drew out a piece that suited the lines of my body and the original artwork. Ah... the luxuries of an artist that is good at what he does. So maybe this is the way to get that 2 inch growth spirt I was hoping for...

Then, after much scrutiny and verbal agreements from me, we were set to start.
So, he continued by saying a prayer in his native tongue. He asked for the graces of safety and ended by extending an invitation to my ancestors to speak and to be present in the moment.
Needless to say, I was happy I followed that gut feeling.
An hour and a half later & I was done. No, it wasn't painless (not when there are 4 shading processes) but I was eerily content thinking about my great grandmother. Plus I have to say that having the history channel on while tattooing is certainly not what I'm used to encountering but it definitely distracted me enough to get the job done.
and this is what we've got....
Meaning:
(*Note that I am working on getting together all of the official maori names for this piece)
In short--
The big section in the middle looks something like a hammerhead shark and that stands for strength.
On the inside right of that section is the symbol for protection and in & around that section there are representations for my mother, father and brother.
On the left you'll notice the two spiral sections meeting. This is to represent Mark & I coming together at the head & nose which translates to mind & breath.
The spiral at the top right brings the original piece into the new addition and symbolizes two paths merging into one.
There is so much detail in and around the piece as well. There is a 'stream' moving from top to bottom using shapes in clusters of 3 which is significant to the maori's and usually is a representation of family (father, mother, child). He assured me that it can stand for any 3 people of importance so mine will represent Amber, Shannon and Larissa.
It's hard to see in the photo so you might have to wait till summertime, but there is also a lot of bird representation for my free bird attitude and spirit.
Also to note is the school of fish, also in the cluster of 3, that reminds me and the world that yes... i am a pisces:).
Well, that's sort of a start. I hope you can see the beauty in it as well even if tattooing isn't on your to-do list. I know that it is certainly a piece that I will continue to bond with and grow with (in more ways than one) for the absolute meaning is interchangable as life happens. I am glad that it is done and I look forward to the continued growth to come; for I know now what they mean when they say you'll never stop at one ;)

1 comment:

larissarn said...

Thank is the sweetest thing you have ever said! You can see me, but I have tears. I love you Mich!